Monday, January 28, 2008

Britney Spears

I feel like I should be writing about something more serious than this, but I need someone to help me figure out something about motherhood. Personally, if I want my son to know that some things are worth sacrificing for, that if you make some choices, you don't have others, I have to model that for him. It's not that I'm a martyr for a mother: I 'm not. I don't feel guilty when I work. I don't feel guilty when I'm doing yoga instead of taking care of him. I don't feel guilty about using my peer counselling network. Frankly, if I'm emotionally and spiritually drained, things don't go so well for him and these are the sorts of things that keep me going.

I also am not a mother of two children barely a year apart and about to divorce my husband. However, I can only wonder how Britney's young children are doing while she's out galavanting with none other than the queen of responsibility, Paris Hilton. I can appreciate that divorcing someone the likes of Kevin Federline would require celebration, but enough is enough. How would we want our young people to handle difficult times in their lives? As adults, do we want them to thrive on escapism? Do we want connected young people who have a solid base to go to and know how to build that base for themselves? I understand that it is HARD WORK staying connected to babies and toddlers all day long. It is more than any of us ever got as young people. But we really have to rise above how we feel at a given moment and think about what is best not only for them, but for ourselves as mothers.

Britney is probably completely tapped out. She needs some rest and taking care of; however, I would suggest that she spend time with a mental health professional (not because she's crazy, but because she needs a place to talk about what is hard in her life) and engage in nourishing activities: drinking all night saps crucial vitamins and sleep, at a minimum! She needs to take care of herself as she prepares to release a new album and, I assume, tour, in the next year with her babies. Never mind the care she will need as she goes through what may end up being a nasty divorce. She should teach her babies how to build reliable networks of friends. Perhaps, instead of Paris, she should give Madonna a call.

No comments: