Thursday, March 1, 2012

Yoga and Male Domination


OK . . . you must be thinking I've lost my mind. Hear me out . . . remember that I studied history because truth is stranger than fiction. With Andrew Breitbart's death (no comment), the Senate barely defeating a moral conscience insurance clause, and the Syrian government pounding Homs to a pulp, I am writing about something that hits terribly close to home for me . . . yoga. Yes, yoga. I practice Ashtanga yoga. It was one of three calming, head clearing forces while I wrote the dissertation. It is currently the activity I have that reminds me to pray and go to sleep (yes members of the far right . . . I am a wayward sinner). So, the New York Times has published a number of articles about yoga and . . . well, its seamy underbelly. Now add this one to the mix (read the article before you continue reading): http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/health/nutrition/yoga-fans-sexual-flames-and-predictably-plenty-of-scandal.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=yoga&st=cse



Many might be surprised that male instructors have taken sexual advantage of their female students. I am not, which brings up one of my favorite themes. I think we need to remember the following: male domination is a factor in every single institution that you can imagine. From the most seemingly benign, yoga, to the most vicious - slavery, the Third Reich, it is an oppressive structure that cannot be escaped. If institutions cannot explicitly examine the ways in which males set and execute their agendas, no number of backbends, downward dogs, and meditation can enforce the yogic principles of ahimsa (non-violence) and brahmacharya (abstinence), and so gurus (teachers) who are supposed to be teaching you satya (truth) will fall short. Ultimately, religion, and yoga as an accompanying religious practice are designed to encourage people to treat each other and the world well. However, when the people who claim the authority to teach religious principles cannot examine basic gendered relationships (remember that males also dominate other males, something that still challenges the Catholic Church of which I am a member), we will continue to mistreat the men, women, boys, and girls in our midst.



I will continue to practice yoga. I will continue to see my teacher . . . he has brought unknown benefits in my physical and spiritual life. Breathing, poses, and meditation cannot be harmed because of John Friend's indiscretions. Those who pioneer yogic methods should consider self-inventory. You are not entitled to anyone else's bodies but your own, no matter how aroused you may feel after your practice. I am not concerned about your abstinence, I am concerned that you practice non-violence. Male domination violates that principle.



Meditate on that! Just sayin'.

No comments: