Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Trayvon Martin

No pictures on this posting today . . . maybe I'll throw in a hoodie.

I must say that I can barely bring myself to look at this story. It occurred to me it hits too close to home.

I have a Black male child. He's 7 and will turn 8 in June. He's tall - 2/3 of my height and I'm 5'10".

A story ran in the New York Times about how Black males are disproportionately targeted by the police. I used that article as a teachable moment. When you become of a size that's much closer to mine, the police may do this to you. Please just do what they say. This has nothing to do with you. They target Black males. The people who are police officers are very scared and take action in this frame of mind.



I was criticized for scaring my child. I responded that as a Black male, he needs to know early and often how to handle himself in public. I know it's scary! It's probably scarier if you don't have a clue.

And then there's Trayvon Martin. George Zimmerman isn't a police officer. He killed this child and the police didn't even bother to investigate because he invoked self-defense. Trayvon was shot for holding skittles and a drink.

Now what do I tell my son? What do mothers tell their Black boys? How should we portray those who do these things to us?

James, don't run in public. Don't wear hoodies. Don't wear loose jeans. Don't hide your hands. Keep ID on you. And know that I have to let you be in this world. I can only warn you. And I want you to be all of you.

I can't go to the hoodie march tonight. I have to teach. I will be there in spirit. Because my son is a black male.

Just sayin'.

No comments: